For several years, impact wrenches were pneumatic or air-powered. By pneumatic, we mean that they worked with gas or air pressure. This form of operation requires some expertise or professionalism.
These days we have more DIY enthusiasts who have no professional experience as mechanics. As a result, we have more wrenches that are powered by batteries which makes them cordless. It also means that impact wrenches are more affordable these days.
Even though this post is about the best impact wrenches for lug nuts, we should tell you that cordless wrenches have more advantages. From mobility to ease of use and several other advantages.
Regardless of the kind of impact wrench you prefer to work with, there are several models on the market. Because of this, you might get confused when trying to choose an impact wrench for your DIY projects. Not to worry, you are the reason we put together this article.
*** Can I use impact wrenches to remove lug nuts?
- Technically, you can. However, you will have to square the drive adapter with a hex shaft. This will allow you to attach the tool to the lug socket. The challenge is that an impact driver doesn’t always have sufficient torque to loosen an over tightened, frozen, or rusted lug nut.
Best Impact Wrenches for Lug Nuts: Our Top 10 Picks
In this post, we will share with you our 10 best impact wrenches for lug nuts. We will also discuss the factors to consider when choosing impact wrenches.
In the final section, we will provide answers to frequently answered questions about which Impact Wrenches are best for Lug Nuts. This promises to be an interesting and enlightening read so let’s dive straight in.
*** Can I use an impact wrench with a normal socket?
- The answer to this question is a simple NO. It is not right to use an impact wrench with a standard socket. Rather, you should make use of an impact socket. This kind of socket is heat treated so it has less hardness than a normal socket.
1. DEWALT 20V MAX Impact Wrench
DeWalt is known for its high-quality and high-performance tools. This impact wrench from DeWalt is not short of these qualities. In fact, once you pick it up, you know that you have a beast on your hands. Let’s check out why this product is on our list.
The 20V MAX Impact Wrench comes with high torque. Just like other impact wrenches in this category, this product is quite heavy. The weight is because of the kind of work it is designed to carry out. It is equipped with several components that make this product easily one of the most efficient in its class.
The wrench comes with two huge 5Ah batteries that are clipped to the base of the wrench. This is one of the contributors to the 7.2lbs this wrench weighs. It makes up for the weight with its efficiency. You can remove super duty lug nuts with ease using this tool. It isn’t just efficient, it is very quick.
- 400 feet pounds of maximum torque to perform a...
- XR Li Ion batteries with fuel gauge provide 33...
- Variable speed trigger with electric brake...
There are threespeed settings to choose from depending on the task at hand. The wrench also comes with a trigger that helps you control the speed rather efficiently. With the three speed levels, you have 900rpm, 2000rpm, and 3100rpm.
The 20V MAX Impact Wrench also comes with a feature known as the precision wrench control. This feature allows you to have better control of this tool in both reverse and forward rotation. The benefit of this is that you avoid over-tightening the lug nuts.
Also, this wrench is quite versatile as it has three different mode settings. Thus, it is capable of handling a variety of tasks. What’s more? You have a three-year warranty on the product, a 90-day money-back guarantee, and a one-year free service. Overall, this product is worth the buy, especially for amateurs and DIY enthusiasts.
- Long battery life.
- 3-year warranty.
- Variable speed trigger.
- Precision wrench control.
- A little too heavy.
- Quite pricey.
2. PORTER-CABLE 20V MAX Impact Wrench
With impact wrenches, you have better work experience with automotive and construction jobs. This is what the Porter-Cable 20V MAX Impact Wrench promises you. Let’s check out what makes this cordless impact wrench tick.
The 20V MAX Impact Wrench falls under the new line of Get Linked system tools by Porter-Cable. This product is the first of the company’s cordless impact wrenches as it strives to meet up with the market demand. It was designed to meet the impact wrench needs of mechanics and residential contractors.
The first thing you will notice with this tool is the half-inch hog ring anvil. This ensures that the motor is able to deliver the max torque required from this device, about 330 ft-lbs. There is also a variable speed trigger that delivers up to 700rpm and 500ipm.
- Powerful motor produces 260 feet pounds of torque...
- Maximum of 1,650 rpm's for driving large fasteners...
- 1/2 Inch hog ring for quick and easy socket...
The 20V MAX Impact Wrench is powered by a strong 4Ah 20V lithium-ion battery. This wrench weighs a little less than the DeWalt wrench above with the weight sitting at 6.9lbs. With this, you can enjoy working for longer without stressing about the weight of the wrench.
One of the interesting features of this device is the ergonomic nature of the handle. It is designed with an over-molded grip so that the device doesn’t fall off while working making it very comfortable. It is impossible to talk about the 20V MAX Impact Wrench from Porter-Cable without mentioning the LED work light. With this light, you have enough illumination while you work. This helps to ensure both safety and precision.
Another challenge with this device is that if you are buying it with the battery, it costs more. So the only way you are getting it for less is if you already have a battery at hand which is most unlikely. Buying this impact wrench gives you a 90-day money-back guarantee, one-year free service, and a three-year warranty.
- Auto LED work light.
- Strong motor.
- 3-year warranty.
- A little too pricey.
- The charger isn’t durable.
- Lacks speed controls.
3. NoCry 20V Cordless Impact Wrench
The NoCry 20V Cordless Impact Wrench was designed to meet both professional and DIY needs. It comes with 120 ft-lb torque which is just okay for an impact wrench in its class. Other things that come with the package include a fast charger, belt clip, 20V battery, and a soft carrying case. What else makes this impact wrench tick?
The charger that comes with the NoCry 20V Cordless Impact Wrench is very fast. It is able to give the 20V battery a full charge within one to hours. One of the more impressive features of this impact wrench is the speed. It can hit up to 3000rpm which is one of the fastest for a wrench in this class.
- This cordless impact wrench will effortlessly...
- Work quicker, longer and with fewer stops thanks...
- The 2700 max IPM rate creates heavy duty impacts...
The wrench comes with 3 LED work lights that come on automatically once you begin using the wrench. This will help you be more precise as you work and provide safety from injury as well. The wrench has the highest warranty so far on our list with a 4-year warranty coverage.
Asides the basics, there is so much to love about the NoCry 20V Cordless Impact Wrench. The device feels very solid even though it weighs just 4 lbs. It comes with an ergonomic handle that ensures comfort while you work. The weight and ergonomic handle design mean that you can use this tool for long periods comfortably.
While this product is worth spending on, the torque is quite low. NoCry can do better with this. However, if you are getting the device for home use, then it is just perfect.
- Ergonomic handgrip.
- Portable product.
- Good turning speed.
- Battery charge indicator.
- 3 LED work lights.
- Carry case and belt clip.
- Torque is quite deficient.
- Lacks speed settings.
- Produces a certain odor while in use.
4. Neiko 10878A 20 V Lithium-Ion Cordless Impact Wrench
The Neiko 10878A impact wrench is the last on our list. This product is the most affordable on this list. Don’t let the price fool you, this device delivers high-performance just like the other impact wrenches on our list.
It comes with a 20V battery that delivers just as much power as the more expensive impact wrenches. The cordless design makes it easy to manipulate the wrench even in tight corners. It comes with a very efficient charger that is designed to achieve quick charging. With this, you are sure to get back to work quickly if your battery runs down and needs to charge.
- Heavy duty powerful motor produces 300 ft. /lb....
- Have total control over the torque delivery of the...
- Ergonomic gun body features a belt hook at the...
The Neiko 10878A impact wrench is equipped with powerful torque of about 300 ft-lbs. As such, it is able to deliver up to 3000rpm. The wrench comes with an LED work light just like the impact wrenches above. This lights up your workspace while the tool is in use for safety and precision purposes.
While the Neiko 10878A impact wrench comes with several interesting features, it has its flaws. One such flaw is the battery life. The battery doesn’t last for long which means that you have to stop work intermittently to charge. Another challenge is that it only comes with a year’s warranty which is poor compared to many other wrenches.
Overall, the Neiko 10878A impact wrench comes with a great build. It is lightweight and portable and it also delivers high-performance.
- Ergonomic design.
- LED work light.
- Free accessories.
- Very affordable.
- Variable speed trigger.
- One-year warranty.
- Poor battery life.
5. VonHaus 20V MAX Cordless 1/2″ Impact Wrench
- POWERFUL - Make light work of removing rusted-on...
- PREMIUM HIGH SPEC MOTOR - 20V MAX Impact Driver...
- CORDLESS FLEXIBILITY - Portable use with no cords...
6. Ingersoll Rand Air Impact Wrench
- 930 feet-pounds of maximum reverse torque
- Nut-busting torque of 1350 feet-pounds. Air...
- Finely tuned twin-hammer impact mechanism
7. Makita Brushless Cordless Impact Wrench
- BL Brushless Motor delivers 240 ft.lbs. of Max...
- Compact and ergonomic design at only 5-5/8" long
- 4-speed power selection switch (0-1,000 / 0-1,800...
8. Nitrocat Air Impact Wrench
- 1300 flubs of torque
- Patented quiet exhaust technology- only 86 dba
- Patented ergonomic Kevlar handle and housing
9. Vpment 18V 4.0Ah Brushless Cordless Impact Wrench
- SUPERIOR BRUSHLESS MOTOR & 320 NM MAX...
- SUPERIOR BRUSHLESS MOTOR & 320 NM MAX...
- 4.0AH BATTERY & 60 MIN FAST CHARGER18V 4.0Ah large...
10. DoBetter Cordless Impact Wrench
- If the tool used continuously with high current,...
- Electronic Motor Protection protects motor against...
- The Lithium-Ion Impact Wrench comes with 1 piece...
Buying Guide: Things to Consider When Buying an Impact Wrench for Lug Nuts
Buying an impact wrench for lug nuts can be quite difficult especially when you don’t have much experience. We understand how confusing it might be so we decided to add a buying guide to this post. In this section, we will look at some factors to consider when buying an impact wrench for lug nuts.
This is very important, especially when you are thinking of getting a cordless device. The battery voltage gives you a clear picture of how much power the battery can deliver. Most wrenches come with 18V or 20V batteries like the ones we mentioned earlier in this post.
Why should you consider the battery voltage? It is simple, the higher the battery voltage, the higher the performance of the impact wrench. This is because the battery is able to deliver higher power to the motor which then produces more torque.
This is another important factor to consider since the motor speed determines the performance of the wrench. When you have a picture of the motor speed, then you can tell how well the wrench will perform.
Fast spinning motors tend to provide better performance. Thus a motor speed of 3000rpm will give you better performance than one with 2000rpm. RPM means rounds per minute and it gives an indication of the number of revolutions the motor makes in a minute. Most cordless impact wrenches come with speed triggers to control the motor speed for different tasks.
The battery life is different from the battery voltage. While the voltage determines how much power the battery delivers to the motor, the battery life states how long it can work. If your tasks don’t take long, then you don’t need to stress about the battery life.
However, if you work extended hours then you need a wrench with long battery life. You don’t want to be stopping midway to charge the wrench before going ahead with your work. Another thing to look out for with the batteries is if there are multiple batteries or not. This way, you can keep working while charging the other battery.
FAQs about Impact Wrenches for Lug Nuts
We thought it wise to answer a few frequently asked questions just in case they match your concerns. Check out the answers below.
1. What is DIY?
- DIY is an acronym for “Do It Yourself.” It is used for projects that you can do by yourself. So when you see DIY friendly on the package of your tool kit, it means that amateurs can use it.
2. What size impact wrench do I need to remove lug nuts?
- There are lots of sizes to remove lug nuts, but commonly used (One-Half), (One-Quarter), (Four-Eighths), (Two-Quarters) & One Inches.
3. Should you use an impact wrench to tighten lug nuts?
- Yes, you should use an impact wrench to tighten lug nuts.
4. How do I remove an impact wrench lug nut?
- You can find lots of useful videos.
5. Can an impact driver be used as an impact wrench?
- Easily You can convert into an impact wrench and use with socket drivers.
6. What tool do mechanics use to remove lug nuts?
- To remove lug nuts impact wrenches are the best choice for mechanics. Impact wrenches mainly used for tighten / loosening nuts.
7. Will a 3/8 impact wrench remove lug nuts?
- Not all 3/8 impact wrench remove lug nuts.
8. Is an impact wrench worth it?
- Yes, It’s worth.
9. Should you use an impact wrench to tighten lug nuts?
- Yes, possible to use, an impact wrench to tighten lug nuts.
Congratulations, you now have a list of the 10 best impact wrenches for lug nuts. The impact wrenches on this list are all cordless and DIY-friendly. This means that you can use them even if you are not a professional.
Along with our list, we have shown you certain factors that you should consider when buying impact wrenches. These will come in handy when you are confused with the different brands on the market. In the final section, we provided answers to the common FAQs about Best Impact Wrenches for Lug Nuts.
Do you have any questions? Drop them in the comment section below.