Do you like to be proactive at home? Are you are a first-time homeowner with a ton of DIY projects to carry out? Without a toolset, you might find it difficult to achieve your aim.
However, it isn’t just a matter of choosing any toolset. There are so many on the market but you need to find the best to suit your needs. This is because not all toolsets contain the exact set of tools that you need.
Because of this, it is quite difficult picking the perfect toolset for your DIY projects. So if you haven’t made up your mind, this post should help you do that. We have checked the different toolsets on the market. In this review, we will show you the 4 best toolsets for homeowners.
Our list is made up of tool sets containing small tools that will come in handy in any home. We will also provide you a buying guide which we use as criteria to choose the items on our list. It doesn’t matter what you are trying to achieve, these tool sets should solve your problem easily. Without further ado, let’s dive straight in.
Best Tool Sets For Homeowner
1. DEWALT Best Power Tool Kit For Homeowners 20V Combo ToolKit
DeWalt is among the most popular tool companies in the world. It is renowned for manufacturing high-quality tools and combo kits or toolsets. One such toolset is the DCK1020D2 20V Combo Kit. Let’s see why this toolset is worth investing in.
The first thing to note about the DCK1020D2 20V Combo Kit is that was designed to handle a variety of tasks. As such, it can handle fastening, drilling, and even cutting operations. To get a clearer picture, you need to know what’s in the package.
This toolset contains the following:
- DCD771 Drill/driver
- DCF885 impact driver
- DCE100 blower
- DCL040 light
- DCR006 Bluetooth speaker
- DCS355B oscillating tool
- DCG412B grinder
- DCS393B circ saw
- DCS381B reciprocating saw
- DCV517B wet/dry vac
That’s not all. It comes with a charger, two contract bags that add to its portability, and two batteries. Now, let’s take a closer look at each of the components of this toolset to get a clearer picture.
- Dcd771 20V max Lithium-Ion 1/2-In compact drill...
- Dcs381 20V max Lithium-Ion reciprocating saw with...
- DEWALT brushless motor in that delivers superior...
The DCD771 drill is equipped with high-speed transmission. This helps it to deliver two different speed levels, 0 – 450 rpm, and 1500 rpm. Both come in handy for different drilling and fastening operations. The impact driver is equipped with one-handed loading for the one-quarter-inch hex chuck. This chuck is compatible with one-inch bit tips.
Changing blades on a reciprocating saw isn’t just stressful, it is dangerous, especially for amateurs. Not to worry, the DCS381 reciprocating saw is designed for your safety. It has a keyless blade clamp. This allows you to change blades very quickly while saving you the stress of touching the reciprocating shaft or blade.
When working, you need all the light you can get. A flashlight comes in handy when you have to work in a poorly lit environment. Asides making you work faster and with more precision, lighting ensures your safety while working. This is why there is a DCL040 bright flashlight in the DCK1020D2 20V Combo Kit. The flashlight has an LED output providing up to 110 lumens.
Many people prefer to work with their favorite songs playing in the background. If you fall into this category, then you are in luck. This toolset comes with a Bluetooth speaker. You can connect your smartphone or some other device and stream your favorite playlist while you work. It also comes in handy if you have to listen to a tutorial while working on that DIY project.
When handling grinding, cutting, and drilling operations, you need a lot of power. This will help you work neater and faster while keeping you safe as well. With the 8000 rpm motor that comes with the DCK1020D2 20V Combo Kit, you have sufficient power to handle different operations.
Dust is always a problem when handling DIY operations. DeWalt understands this and adds a wet and dry filter to this toolset. This filter can trap up to 99.97% of all the dust produced when working. There are several advantages to this. First, it protects you from inhaling dust particles while working. Second, it makes it easy to clean up your workspace when you are done.
The DCK1020D2 20V Combo Kit comes with a 90-day money-back guarantee, 1-year free service, and 3-year warranty. This means that you have sufficient cover should you have issues with this toolset. However, we believe that even though this product is quite costly, it is worth spending on.
- Comes with a vacuum and blower.
- Everything is cordless.
- The impact driver and drill are efficient.
- Tools are durable.
- Contains a variety of tools that come in handy.
- Comes with an air filter.
- A little too costly.
- Batteries don’t last too long.
2. CRAFTSMAN Cordless Drill Combo Kit
Craftsman is recognized for manufacturing high-performance tools and combo kits. This cordless drill combo kit features the following:
- V20 Cordless hammer drill and driver
- V20 Impact driver
- 20V max lithium-ion battery Charger
- Two 20V max lithium-ion batteries
- Two screw-on belt hooks
- Cloth storage bag
While many people have seen so many cordless drills, not many know of their capabilities. These drills can perform just about any task, from driving screws to drilling holes and lots more. They also accept several other accessories such as rotary sanders and wire brushes. With impact drivers, all you get is driving screws but they do this with amazing precision.
- This CRAFTSMAN V20 Lithium 4-tool Combo kit...
- Part of the V20 cordless system
- Part of the V20 cordless system
One of the attractions to this toolset is how versatile the batteries in the box are. They are capable of running the different tools that come with the combo kit. Most times, these batteries come charged. However, if they aren’t, there is a charger that fills up their juices very quickly. Each battery also comes with a battery life indicator so you know when you need to charge.
The hammer drill comes with a speed trigger switch, torque adjustment collar, reverse and forward button, and LED work light. This light comes on once you begin to use the drill illuminating your work area for safety and precision. The power the motor generates is strong enough to handle wood, brick, and concrete block.
One of the features of the drill that make it so interesting to use is the ergonomic rubber handle. This grip makes it easy to hold onto the hammer drill and work for extended periods. It is easy for the bit jaws to grab smaller bits because they are pointy and large.
The impact driver comes with a forward and reverses button, speed trigger switch, metal chuck collar, and speed selector. It also comes with an LED light just like the hammer drill. This light stays on for up to 20 seconds after you release the trigger. With this, you can take a quick look at what you are working on intermittently.
Both the impact driver and hammer drill come with hooks. While these hooks don’t look the part, they are strong and efficient. You can use them to hang the tools to your pockets or belts occasionally. Overall, the Craftsman combo kit is great for people who have an array of work to accomplish. It doesn’t matter if you are a professional or an amateur DIY enthusiast.
- Ergonomic handles.
- Long-lasting batteries.
- Powerful tools and motors.
- A versatile battery that can be swapped across tools.
- Battery life indicator.
- Bits are not included in the package.
3. WORKPRO 408-Piece Mechanics Tool Set
WORKPRO, just like the other companies on this list, has a reputation for producing quality tools and toolsets. The 408-Piece Mechanics Tool Set is regarded as one of the best toolsets for beginners and amateurs. Here’s a list of what comes with the package:
- Trendy metal case.
- 408 different tools.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Versatile tools.
Many toolsets only provide you with a set of advanced wrenches, not this one from WORKPRO. This toolset presents you with a box cutter, measuring tape, pliers, hammer, and zip ties to mention a few. The advantage is that each of these tools comes with a specific color so it is easy to identify them from a mile.
- High Quality Material Chrome vanadium forged tools...
- 408 pieces of tools It includes most daily use...
- Professional Toolbox This tool set contains most...
A minus is that the set of socket wrenches isn’t as comprehensive as what you see with the other tools. However, the sockets available will solve problems in both the beginner and intermediate classes. While you can dismantle a car with this, you can easily handle minor tasks.
One of the most attractive features of this toolset is the 3-tier drawer box. The heavy-duty box is divided into three tiers where you can store the 408 tool pieces easily. Beyond keeping your workplace organized, the box also ensures that the tools are kept safe.
The ratchet handles are all ergonomically designed so that you enjoy using them for long periods. All the tools also come with a fine chrome polish finish. While this makes the tools attractive, it also makes them more durable and corrosion-resistant. Each of the tools in the box comes with a lifetime warranty from WORKPRO. This gives a clear picture of the quality of these tools.
Each tool is made from chrome vanadium steel which ensures their durability. The only challenge is that these tools seem a little too light. For many people, this makes them question the durability of the tools, especially on heavy tasks. Their lightweight makes them prone to denting as well.
Overall, this toolset is perfect for beginners and amateurs. Professionals who carry out heavy-duty tasks may not find this toolset worth spending on. It is worthy to note that this toolset adheres to all ANSI standards.
- Metal toolbox.
- Chrome finish for all tools.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Great for beginners.
- Ergonomic design for all tool handles.
- Very affordable.
- A wide array of tools.
- Tools are prone to denting.
- Lacks impact drive sockets.
4. DEKOPRO 258 Piece Tool Kit
Deko is renowned for producing top-quality tools and tool kits. This box contains 258 different tools that give you a wide array to choose from for DIY tasks. While choosing from this wide variety may seem difficult for an amateur, a professional can get around easily.
Each of the tools in this box is treated with chrome plating. This makes them attractive, resistant to corrosion, and a lot more durable. An added advantage of the chrome plating is that the tools are very easy to clean and maintain.
- MULTI-DIMENSIONAL PRECISION TOOLS:Made of durable...
- PORTABLE ROLLING CASE: Thanks to two durable...
- 258 PCS HOME HOUSEHOLD TOOL KIT:The rolling tool...
One of the more attractive features of this toolset is the portable rolling case. This case comes with two wheels which make it easy to move the whole box around when the need arises. The portability comes in handy when you have to move the toolset from your home to a construction site.
This box contains all kinds of tools such as screwdrivers, wrenches, rulers, universal joints, and hammers. Hence, it is perfect for both amateurs and professionals. Beginners will also find this toolset very helpful as a practice kit. Here’s a list of what the three different trays in this toolset contain:
- 16 x Hex Key Wrenches MM
- Adjustable Wrench 8.3″
- Lineman’s Plier 6.5″
- Long Nose Plier 6.5″
- Measure Tape Rule 1pcs
- Rip Claw Hammer 11″
- Tongue-and-Groove Plier 10″
- Torpedo Level
- Utility Knife
- 1 x Ratchet Screwdriver
- 1 x Screw Nut Assortment Kit
- 32 x Mixed Screwdriver Bits
- 3/16, 7/32, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2 inch; 5,6,7,8,9,10,12mm
- Ratchet Handle 1/2 Drive
- 1/2 Universal Joint
- 1/2 -inch Drive Socket Extension
- 14 x 1/2-inch Drive 6pt Sockets:
- Ratchet Handle 1/4 Drive
- 1/4 Universal Joint
- 1/4 -inch Drive Socket Extension
- 12 x 1/4-inch Drive 6pt Sockets:
- 1/2, 9/16, 19/32, 11/16, 3/4 inch; 13,14,15,17,19mm
- 2 x 1/2 -inch Drive 6pt Deep Sockets:16, 21mm
- 10 x Combination Wrench:
- 4 x Screwdriver Sets
- 1 x 10ft Measure Tape Rule
- 6 x Screwdriver Bits
- 1 x Wire Stripper 9″
- 1 x Electroprobe
- 3/8,7/16,1/2,9/16,5/8 inch;10,12,14,15mm
- Very easy to use.
- Very affordable.
- Contains 258 different tools.
- Organized toolbox.
- Very portable with the luggage box design.
- Quite heavy.
5. PORTER-CABLE Cordless Drill Combo Kit
- 1 of PORTER-CABLE 20V MAX Cordless Drill Combo...
- 1 of PORTER-CABLE 20V MAX Lithium Battery Charger,...
6. Milwaukee Electric Tools Combo Kit
- Product is manufactured in China
- This product meets customer requirement
- 5 year warranty on material and workmanship
7. Makita 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Cordless 8 Tool Combo Kit Set
- 1/2" Driver-Drill with 2-speeds (0-600 & 0-1,900...
- 1/2" Driver-Drill features a compact design at...
- Variable speed Impact Driver (0-2,900 RPM &...
8. DEWALT 20V MAX Lithium Ion 10 Tool Combo Kit
- DCD771 20v MAX* 1/2" Drill Driver and DCF885 20v...
- DCS381 20v Max* Lith Recip Saw, and DCS393 20v...
- Max air flow at 100CFM. Air Speed:135 mph
9. BLACK+DECKER 20V Lithium Cordless Multi-Purpose Combo Kit
- Digital gauge to view current pressure and set...
- Automatic shutoff stops the unit once the desired...
- Matrix Quick Connect system allows quick and easy...
10. Ryobi 18-Volt Combo Kit
- Includes 2 - 18-volt lithium batteries, usable on...
- Drill has 2 speed settings (0-440 or 0-1600 rpm),...
- Tool weights: drill, 2. 7 lbs. ; circular saw, 4....
11. Metabo HPT 18V Cordless 4 Tool Combo Kit
- Same tools. New name. Hitachi power tools has...
- Kit includes the DV18DGL 18V Lithium Ion Hammer...
- Kit includes the WH18DGL 18V Lithium Ion Impact...
12. RIDGID Brushless 18V Cordless Combo Kit
- Drill/Driver: All Metal Gears For extended...
- Drill/Driver: 24 Position Clutch Ring For ultimate...
- Impact Driver: Quick-Release Hex Collet Spring...
13. Metabo HPT 18V Cordless Hammer Drill and Impact Driver Combo Kit
- Same tools. New name. Hitachi power tools has...
- Powered by lithium Ion battery technology for fade...
- Kit includes the DV18DGL 18V Lithium Ion Driver...
14. PowerSmart 20V Cordless Combo Kit
- Two 20V 1.5 Ah lithium ion batteries provides the...
- Includes Drill/Driver, Circular Saw, Reciprocating...
- Provides excellent balance and control, ideal for...
15. CRAFTSMAN Combo Home Tool Kit
- 1 of CRAFTSMAN Home Tool Kit / Mechanics Tools...
- 1 of BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Cordless Drill / Driver...
Things to Consider When Buying a Tool Set for Home Use
As a homeowner who takes delight in handling household tasks, a toolset will always come in handy. The tools in these sets will help you achieve your DIY goals faster and with more efficiency. However, finding the right toolset can be difficult considering the number of toolsets on the market these days. Here are a few factors to consider when buying a toolset for home use.
The first thing you should consider is your experience level in relation to the toolset you are buying. Some toolsets are designed to meet the needs of professionals with advanced skill levels. Others are designed to meet the needs of amateur DIY enthusiasts.
Ask yourself which of these groups you belong to. This will give a clear picture of which kind of toolset you should invest in.
The kind of tasks that you engage in more frequently will determine the kind of tools you need. Different tool sets come with different kinds of tools. Not all these tools will be perfect for the kind of tasks you handle.
A clear example is if you carry out more of drilling operations. Picking a toolset that has cutting tools wouldn’t do you justice or meet your needs. What you need is a toolset that has all kinds of drill bits and drivers for your drilling operations. So the question here is, what projects do you work on the most?
For some people, this isn’t a big deal mostly because their workspace has a lot of space. However, when your workspace is clustered, you need a toolset that has sufficient room to store tools. Some toolsets come with drawers and lots of storage space like we discussed above.
These toolsets will be perfect if you stay in a small apartment or have a clustered workspace. A more comprehensive kit will fit into a large workspace like a garage. The question that begs an answer here is, how much storage space do you need?
Cord or cordless tools
Your toolset will always come with power tools. But, do you prefer corded or cordless power tools? Corded power tools can be pneumatic or electric while their cordless counterparts are battery-powered.
If you need lots of power to carry out your cutting, grinding, or drilling operations, then you need corded tools. This is because corded tools deliver more power than their cordless counterparts. However, if what you need is freedom while working, then a cordless power tool is just perfect.
The idea here is to weigh the pros and cons of both classes based on your kind of work. If you need the tools for long periods of extended use, then you need them to be corded. However, if you have to get into very tight spaces while working, then cordless models will do the magic.
This is one of the top factors you should look out for when buying a toolset. Toolsets with poor safety ratings can result in serious injuries or even fatalities. The fact that you are purchasing a well-known brand doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t consider the safety rating.
One of the best ways to find out the safety rating of a toolset is by reading customer reviews. Check if any of the reviews talk about accidents during use. You can also look through the product description for any mention of safety features. A top brand will always provide safety measures for users of their toolsets.
True Cost of the Tool Set
What many people don’t know or consider is that the initial price of purchase isn’t the true cost of the toolset. Some toolsets don’t come with all the tools that you need to achieve your goals. This means that you need to buy extra tools.
For example, sometimes, you need to purchase extra batteries, drill bits, cutting blades, chargers, etc. In this case, you need to add the overall cost of buying the peripherals to the cost of the toolbox. After adding it up, ask yourself if buying the toolset is still affordable or not. You should also factor in the cost of maintaining the tools in the package.
FAQs about Tool Sets for Homeowners
Now that you are looking for the best toolsets for homeowners, you probably have some questions. Check out the answers to the most common questions people like you ask. With these, you should find solutions to your questions.
1. How can I set up a toolbox?
It is easier to reach your tools if you are able to set up your toolbox properly. The organization of your toolbox is key when it comes to owning a toolset. There are different ways to organize your toolbox depends on the kind of work you need to do.
It is always best to keep the tools for emergencies closer so that you can reach them easily when the need arises. The easiest way to set up your toolbox is to keep your tools organized properly. With this, you can access them with ease when you need to use them.
2. What tools should be in my toolset?
There are certain essentials that you must have in your toolset. Here’s a list to help you below:
- Putty knife
- Screwdriver (multiple sizes)
- Tape measure
- Utility knife
- Wrenches (adjustable, multiple sizes)
To be a lot more prepared, then you can add the items below to your toolset:
- Eye protection goggles
- Measuring square
- Mill file
- Power drill
- Straight edge
- Torch (headband and handheld)
3. What can I use a rotary toolset for?
Rotary toolsets are used to handle light tasks. They are mostly handheld and come with an array of outputs or heads. You can use a rotary toolset for any of the following:
Although rotary toolsets are not essential, they come in handy for certain tasks on the home front.
Toolsets are essential items that every homeowner should have. They help with different DIY tasks, especially during emergencies. We understand how difficult it is to find the perfect toolset. This is why we gave you our list of best toolsets for homeowners above.
Also, we have provided you with a buying guide to use when buying a new tool set. In the final section, we answered a few FAQs that may be bugging you.