The first question that will come to your mind whenever you misplace your original key is how to rekey a lock to match existing key?
You will get to know more about rekeying a lock without having the original key within reach.
How To Rekey A Lock To Match Existing Key : Let’s Find Out Below
1. Get a rekeying kit
The first step to rekeying your lock is to get a rekeying kit. You can quickly get them at any hardware stores and in some online stores.
Some kits come with the ability to work with heavy duty padlocks or multiple locks. So, you need to get a rekeying kit that can easily fit into a various lock.
Rekeying Kit Set Locksmith Tool Box
- Schlage Compatible. Fits Schlage SC, Baldwin,...
- Bottom pins #0 to #9 each 200 PC, Master Pins #2...
- Top pins 200 PC, Plug Clips 100 PC, Pin springs...
2. Remove the exterior doorknob or lock face
The next step that you need to take is to remove the exterior doorknob or lock the face. The doorknobs are held in place with a clip that you can only access through the wire’s insertion into a tiny hole.
You might be lucky to have your rekeying kit come with this tool, or you might have to make use of paper. Unbend a paper clip and insert it.
HPC Follower Set For Rekeying
3. Take out the lock cylinder
The next step you need to go through is to take out the cylinder of the lock. You need a cylinder follower to do that with ease.
Just push the cylinder through the assembly and remove the sleeve covering it, and that will allow you to remove the cylinder easily.
LAB LSK2N1 Pro Pin Kit for Rekeying
- Lab Re-Keying / Pinning Kit
- For Schlage & Kwikset Locks
- Steel Hard Coat Finished Kit
4. Remove the cylinder retainer ring
After you’ve removed the lock cylinder, then you should remove the cylinder retainer ring.
This can be done using a wrench like a ring removes to remove the retaining ring from the lock cylinder.
Richmond Lewis Lock Pick Set Professional
- Premium Pick Tools: This extensive pick set...
- 24-Pieces Multitool Lock Set: This Practice Lock...
- Great Entertainment and Learning: Lock picking is...
5. Take out the cylinder plug
The next step is to insert the key for the current lock into the cylinder and then turn it to separate the upper and the lower lock pin. With constant pressure, you can find it easy to push the plug follower through the cylinder.
When going through this step, you need to be more careful as you do not want the spring to get out when removing the cylinder plug. You should pick them up and reinsert if they fall off, but it can be pretty hard to do without tweezers to put the pin back in place.
Schlage Keying Kit with Seal Tight Metal Box
- This product adds a great value
- Product is highly durable and very easy to use
- This product is manufactured in China
6. Take out the old lower lock pins
The next step for you is to remove the lower lock pins. The pins are roughly bullet-shaped, with a pointed end touching the key.
They come in different lengths, and you need to understand that for easy operation.
Locksmith Pinning Mat
7. Insert new lock key in the cylinder
You should insert the new lock key into the cylinder by pushing the springs out of the way for the new lock pins.
PreCut Keys for Rekeying
8. Insert a new pin in the lock
You need tweezers or small needle-nosed pliers to grip the pins of the lock and insert them.
You need to align the new pins with the key whenever you are inserting them in the lock.
Schlage Compatible Rekeying Kit with 200 Pin
- Create Key Alike and Master Key For SCHALGE,...
- 7 Tools: Key gauge, plastic follower, deadbolt cap...
- Copper follower, plug clip remover,twwezer, lock...
9. Reassemble the lock
Get all that you’ve removed in place, such as the cylinder plug and retaining plug, and you are done with rekeying.
Kwikset Compatible Rekeying Rekey kit set Box
- Kwikset compatible rekey kits
- Bottom pns 1 to 6 eachh 200PC, Maste rpin 1 to 6...
- 200 top pins, 100 deadbolt springs, 100 cylinder...
Kwikset Locksmith Rekeying Pin Key Tool
- Locksmith Value Pack! Master Pins 1-6 (each 200...
- For Kwikset brand locks. CK Ball (200 pieces) Pin...
- Pin Spring (100 pieces) Plug Clip (50 pieces)...
Lock Pin Tumbler Tweezers
- Pacific Doorware High Quality Brushed Stainless...
- 6 inches Length for Easy Handling
- Grooved Tip Design for easy grasping of pins
Lock Set Setel Padlock Repair Kit
Stainless Steel Multi-Function Padlock Repair Kit
- Great design set: 17 pcs tools + 2 locks
- Made of high-quality Stainless steel material.
- Best gift for family, friends, boys, girls,...
Now the Big Question Is – Can you rekey a lock without the original key ?
If you lost your key or misplaced your original key – Most of the cases, a locksmith easily can rekey a lock without the original key. You can also try yourself if you purchase Rekeying Kit set.
Before start check some videos – Hope those are helpful for you
We have above the information you need to know about how to rekey a lock without the original key. If you are still asking a question such as how to rekey a lock to match existing key? We’ve got the right answer for you on this page.