Welcome readers. You are about to find out exciting facts on Sheesham Wood that will make you choose it over the rest of the type of woods for any woodworking project.
What is Sheesham Wood
Sheesham wood is one of the strongest and fitted for woodworking. It is popularly known for its wood grains and dual-color tone of dark brown and yellow. Due to its amazing benefits and quality, it is costly and on the high side compared to regular woods like mango and teak wood.
Sheesham Wood Furniture
Aldwin Farmhouse Storage Coffee Table
- Spacious surface: Measuring 36" W x 36" D x 18" H,...
- Handsomely crafted: Table is made of pine veneers,...
- Farmhouse flair: The weathered gray finish...
Emerson Mixed media coffee table
- Rustic and industrial rectangle live edge coffee...
- The wood top is beautiful in style with a...
- The simple metal base features a Gray steel finish
Hand Carved Altar Table Small Meditation Puja Sheesham Wood Unique Dragon (Large)
- USPTO REGISTERED TRADEMARKED BRAND. BUY ONLY...
- Ornately Hand Carved From Sheesham Wood Depicting...
- SIZE: 24 INCHES BY 13 INCHES HEIGHT BY 13 INCHES...
Solid Sheesham Wood Hand Carved Shrine Altar Meditation Table (Large, Dark)
- This table can easily be folded up for compact...
- Table Measures : 22" W X 12" D X 12" H - Ornately...
- Hand crafted in India by Master Craftsman
Bolanburg One Drawer Night Table with Cabinet – Vintage Casual
- VINTAGE INSPIRED NIGHTSTAND: The classics never...
- HANDSOMELY CRAFTED: Made of veneers, wood and...
- TWO TONE FINISH: The creamy off white finish is...
Rustic Coffee Table with 2 Drawers Reclaimed Wood Tea End Side Table Storage Cabinet Box Pure Handmade for Home Office Living Room Furniture
- MULTIFUNCTIONAL TABLEWhether you are looking for a...
- 2 DRAWERS STORAGE SPACEWith total dimensions:...
- FULLY HANDMADEPure handmade craftsmanship adds the...
Winsome Wood MilanWood Storage Bench in Antique Walnut Finish with Storage Shelf and 3 Rattan Baskets in Antique Walnut Finish
- 40"W hall bench with storage shelf
- 3 rattan baskets for storage
- Comfortable seating for putting on shoes or...
Premium Hand Made Wooden Temple | Wooden Indian Mandir | Sheesham Wooden Madir | Symbolic God House | Seat of God
Wooden Hindu Temple 22″ Oxidized Silver Color Mandir with Doors – Fully Assembled
Kamdhenu art and craft Wooden Temple/Home Temple/Pooja Mandir/Pooja Mandap/Temple for Home
- Item Size - 18 x 9.5 x 21 INCH Lx Wx H
- Materilal : Wood and MDF S
- Completely Handcrafted and Hand painted.
Jodhpur Handicrafts Wooden Temple/Home Temple/Pooja Mandir/Pooja Mandap/Temple for Home
- Its dimensions are , Outer Size: Width: 46 cm,...
- Completely Handcrafted and Hand painted.
- Materilal : Wood and MDF
Sheesham Wood Origin
The wood from Sheesham tree, also known by several names such as Shishan, Himalaya Raintree, Sissoo, Indian Dalbergia, and Penny Leaf Tree, finds its source from a tree that locally grows in India and the Sub-Himalayan areas. It can also be found in some other parts of the countries such as the US, Australia, and Africa.
The Sheesham tree has nothing more to offer other than the wood. It is known as a giant tree as most of it boasts of the height up to 10 to 15 meters in dry areas and its wet areas, it can go as tall as 30 meters at full growth. The tree grows richly in pure sand, gravel, the soil of riverbanks, and can flourish in slightly salty soils.
Sheesham Wood Features
- It has a straight grain which makes it sturdy and tough
- High resistance to wood termite
- Rich and lustrous appearance
- Dark brown and chestnut color with darker streaks
Sheesham Wood Benefits
Apart from being used for woodworking or furniture, Sheesham wood also has some benefits that are unknown to you.
- It is perfect for all woodworking job as it has fewer chances of wrapping and splitting
- The wood is of high quality with high resistance to natural decay and termite infestation
- Due to the toughness of the wood, it can be used for all kind of woodworking task
- The wood exhibit smooth finish and shines brighter after polishing
- It is also being used for the construction of musical instruments, ornamental turnery, and sporting goods
- It’s color, strength and toughness make it perfect for furniture
- The twigs of the wood can also be used for oral care, such as cleaning the teeth, also been used for the treatment of stomach problems as well as skin issues.
Sheesham Wood Characteristics
What are the fantastic attributes of the wood from Sheesham, which makes it a perfect choice for you over some other woods in the market?
Sheesham Wood Durability
When it comes to durability, you have to give global recognition to Sheesham wood. It is solid and tough, and its components make it very difficult for termites to feast on the wood. It doesn’t split or warp when in use, unlike some than splits. The durability makes it last longer with little maintenance required from you.
The wood comes with elegant colors of golden brown, bright or dark yellow, and it some cases, it might appear with a deep reddish-brown color. Also, it has dark streaks, which makes it attractive and alluring for any furniture project. Furthermore, it has interlocked grains, which makes it very tough and hard to stand the test of time.
Some woods are very difficult to use for any woodworking task. But that is different as regards the wood from Sheesham tree. The wood is effortless to work with for any woodworking task such as furniture and craft work.
What is the difference between Solid Wood, Sheesham Wood and Teak Wood
Solid wood is an excellent choice for homeowners because of its amazing benefits, such as its ability to retain its appearance, easy repair, and restoration to its original look. It takes little effort from you to work on solid wood for any use.
It is pricey, but you are getting the right value for whatever price you get the wood. It lasts longer, never looks old, and very easy to refurbish.
Teak wood is also an important wood to be considered for furniture work. If you are on the lookout for wood that is harder than wood from Sheesham tree, then Teak wood is an option for you. It has a high amount of oil within its stem, and that can’t be found in wood from Sheesham or solid wood. Also, it is resistant to water because of the oil content in it. It is one of the woods preferred for boat building
Sheesham wood is not resistant to water, unlike teak wood, and for it to repel water, you have to coat with oil for any furniture work. It couldn’t resist water because it has a large amount of water in its stem.
Also, the wood can be used for fuel, toothbrushes, medicinal use while the rest, such as teak can’t be used for fuel, solid wood also can’t be used for fuel, but teak has some medicinal benefits too.
Sheesham Wood vs. Mango Wood
If you are confused or contemplating on choosing either mango wood or the wood from Sheesham tree for your furniture of woodworking task, then this is for you. The best way to do this is by looking into their characteristics. And since I have that of the wood from Sheesham tree above, I advise you check again.
- Mango wood is being cut and used for timber when the tree stops bearing fruits while Sheesham can be used anytime since it is not a fruit-bearing tree
- Mango wood is substantial and hardy with high resistance to water while wood from Sheesham tree is durable, long-lasting but not resistance to water
- Mango wood is effortless to move from one place to another, but Sheesham is quite challenging to move around because it is heavy and strong
- Mango wood is softer in texture and can easily split, but that can’t be seen with wood from Sheesham
How to decide between Sheesham Wood or Mango Wood
Choosing your choice between the wood from Sheesham tree and the one from the mango tree is based on your preference and the task you have at hand either for furniture or craft. Also, it would be best if you consider the character and benefits of each of the woods, and that will help you in making the right decision.
However, for a quick view, both are comparable in durability, strength, and beauty. Still, for a wood that has a smooth, subtle finish, lasts longer with resistant against natural decay and termite infestation, Sheesham is the right choice.
In the end, in this article, we have done our best to broaden your orientation on Sheesham wood with some other woods that can be compared with it in the market. Here! You get to know some facts about the wood and some of the benefits and while it is a preferred choice among other woods for woodworking tasks.